Case Study: Intellectual Property (Patents & Trademarks) Licensing
Problem & Constraints
- Large multi-market-product technology company with unused IP wasting over time and losing competitive value.
- Desire to monetize the portfolio without jeopardizing current / future products
- Historic behavior has demonstrated preference for allowing IP to expire rather than decide to out-license
- Internal review determines untapped and non-strategic value should be reallocated rather than allow to expire.
- Internal Business Development personal focused on higher priority activities
- Develop plan to out-license existing IP in fields and application not of interest to client
- Get Organizational buy-in beyond CEO directive
- Execute on out-licensing if given go-ahead
- Audited filed IP and ranked value to company & value to hypothetical market-place
- Developed internal process to QC and authorize availability for out-licensing
- Developed range of executable scenarios & minimum terms depending upon attractiveness ranging from simple license to partially funded spin-out
- Executed on engagement through planning, process & straw-man terms
- Transitioned execution process to a long-term internal BD members dedicated to task over the long-term
Ready to Talk?
Tell us more about your business challenge and lets discuss how we can help you.